Stemming from the workshop Audio Art/Modular Synthesis 03, Material and Spatial Sound Installation (October 2018), Modular Synthesis 04 is designed for intermediate to advanced practitioners. It will focus on exploring the possibilities for performing and improvising with these intruments while spatializing works of audio art using synthesis, transformation and modular control approaches.
In this era of ubiquitous digital technology, a remarkable number of practices and techniques from the past have resurfaced in the form of software, plug-ins, and, especially, dedicated circuits designed for portable sound capture, generation and processing, allowing for a hands-on approach to sound material.This shift has brought with it a return to modularity, be it for sound design, studio composition, performance and, increasingly, sound installations.
This shift has brought with it a return to modularity, be it for sound design, studio composition, performance and, increasingly, sound installations.
Why become interested in modulars now? The answer is simple: modular philosophy implies a realignment and fusion between, on the one hand, sound and sound signals, and, on the other, control signals and modulation.
In this workshop, we will focus more specifically on the performative implications of improvisation, organic creation and an evolutionary structure of composition and spatialization for modular systems in audio art.
Emphasis will be placed on the following themes:
- Modulars as an encounter-based practice: systems combination, use of external data, sensors, online data, sonifying reality, etc.;
- Time effect processors, samplers and patches as supports for evolutive and interactive composition structures;
- Modular thought in general, with or without computers; its contact with external elements;
- Exploring and putting into practice sound installation concepts: control signals as related to material, sculptural elements, envelopes, actions, microscopic and macroscopic timescales;
- Integration of acoustic phenomena in order to sustain and embody the sense of a sound installation;
- Putting into practice : performing modularity, strategies to make a piece evolve, control combinations, generating complexity and subtlety;
- Preparing for a modular synthesis performance, building bridges between digital/computer-based creation and analogue/material-based creation;
*The workshop will conclude with group or solo performances by participants.
Guest artist: Philippe-Aubert Gauthier
Number of participants: Maximum 10 participants
Registration period: From October 1 to November 22, 2019
Call or email the New Media Lab: 514-844-3250, ext. 230 or email@example.com.
Cost: $180 (taxes included)
* The workshop will be offered in French, both instructors are bilingual and will answer questions in English.
- Be a professional artist, creator or cultural worker; this workshop is designed specifically for sound artists, architects, scenographers, sculptors and electronic musicians;
- Attend every workshop session;
- Knowledge of the principles and hands-on composition experience of modular synthesis is an asset;
- Be a self-employed worker or a salaried employee in an enterprise not subject to 1 % Training Investment. Two spots available for employees of companies that are subject to the 1% Law. Please contact us for more details.
Reservation / Payment
Reservations can be done by phone or email. Full payment must be made for reservations to be valid. You can pay by credit card (Visa or MasterCard), cheque or in cash. Registration to a workshop is not transferable.
Cancellation / Refund
OBORO does not refund registration fees except in case of illness (with a medical note) or of absolute necessity. In such cases, registration fees are transferable to another workshop or service offered by the New Media Lab.
OBORO reserves the right to cancel workshops at any time and without advance notice. In this case, registration fees are completely refunded.