Sound art is interdisciplinary by nature. It can be perfomative, immersive and it can be installed. It can also be inscribed in a research project as well as in technological, sociological, environmental creations. The workshop addresses sound art from the artist-facilitator's vantage point drawing from her 25 years of experiences in contemporary art creation.
This workshop is designed for artists working in any discipline or in the interdisciplinary field. It is designed to enrich their practice through exploration and the deepening of subjective sound language. Participants will be introduced to audio recording, interview-style voice recording, the object and the amplified gesture. The workshop will also focus on sound production, transmission, digital audio composing and editing. Magali Babin will guide participants to create their own "sonothèque" archive composed up to their own material, textures and sound events, recorded during the workshop.
In light of the experiences of the teacher, the problematics of the contemporary fields and art practices of: site-specificity, contextual art and intervention art, performance, installation, social practice, dance and choreography would all be pertinent approaches to address the medium of sound.
This workshop will allow the participants to:
- bring greater depth to their art practices
- sharpen their sensitivity to the sonorous dimension of the world around
- experiment and "deal with" the sound as a creative material
- be attentive to the dialogue that emerges between their current practice and their own sound language
- define technical, conceptual and theoretical needs
- confirm and enlighten interests and projects related to sound
- use both professional audio material as well as other devices as desired (electric circuits, emitters and transmitters, prepared vinyl, record players and obsolete technologies)
Friday, February 23: 7pm to 9pm
Saturday, February 24: 11am to 5pm
Sunday, February 25: 11am to 5pm
Saturday, March 3: 11am to 5pm
Sunday, March 4: 11am to 5pm
- This workshop is for artists, curators or profesional cultural workers of all generations engaged in a current art practice;
- Be a self-employed worker or a salaried employee in an enterprise not subject to 1% Training Investment;
- Attend every workshop session.
Please note that two spots are reserved for employees of companies that are subject to the 1% Law in skills development.
Number of participants: maximum 10
Registration period: Tuesday to Friday, from January 31 to February 16, 2018
Call or email the New Media Lab: 514-844-3250, ext. 230 or email@example.com
Cost: $130 (taxes included)
NEW! Two spots are now available for employees of companies that are subject to the 1% Law. Please contact us for more details.
Reservation / Payment
Reservations can be done by phone or email. Full payment must be made for reservations to be valid. You can pay by credit card (Visa or MasterCard), cheque or in cash. Registration to a workshop is not transferable.
Cancellation / Refund
OBORO does not refund registration fees except in case of illness (with a medical note) or of absolute necessity. In such cases, registration fees are transferable to another workshop or service offered by the New Media Lab.
OBORO reserves the right to cancel workshops at any time and without advance notice. In this case, registration fees are completely refunded.