Job offer *extended until January 26*: General Director
OBORO is an artist-run centre whose research, production, dissemination and training activities encompass media, digital and visual arts. We offer a work environment that is creative, adaptable and participatory, and strive to reflect our diverse cultures and identities in all spheres of activity. At OBORO, we also aim for the flexibility we know to be necessary in maintaining a healthy balance between work, family and artistic practice.
To consolidate the management team, OBORO is seeking a General Director whose primary mandate, in addition to ensuring the proper functioning of the organisation, is to pilot a capital project for its next development phase.
Reporting to the Board, the General Director works in close collaboration with the Administrative and Artistic Directors to ensure the organisation’s development, and gathers the means necessary to carry out the capital project. To this end, the General Director is responsible for the organisation’s development strategy and key partnerships. In collaboration with the Administrative Director, the General Director ensures that the overall budget is respected and that the organisation conforms to applicable laws. The General Director secures the organisation’s funding, manages its human resources, represents the organisation, and ensures that the centre fulfills its mandate and vision.
Main fields of action:
Strategy and governance
• Working closely with the Board and the management team, develop and deploy the organisation's overall strategic vision
• Plan and implement all phases of the capital project in development (2020-2024)
• Track the evolution of funding programs and monitor project and operating grants
• Make general recommendations to optimise the organisation’s overall functioning
• Orient decisions regarding certain development works (spaces and equipment)
• In collaboration with the management team, represent OBORO in government and peer organisations
General administration and finance
• Manage human resources (supervise, evaluate and hire employees and contractors)
• Write grant applications and reports, and monitor related budgets, with the support of the team
• Be responsible for fundraising
• Develop promising partnerships
• Ensure that the organisation complies with applicable laws, in collaboration with the Administrative Director
• Ensure that organisational policies are respected and applied, in collaboration with the Administrative Director
Required skills and qualifications:
• Minimum of five years’ experience in cultural management with significant responsibilities, or comparable experience
• Experience or strong interest in capital projects
• Experience in partnerships and development
• Strong experience in strategic leadership
• Bilingualism (the working language is mainly French; fluency in written and spoken English is required)
• Excellent ability to manage priorities and schedules and to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to organise and convey information for diverse uses
• Computer skills: Mac environment, spreadsheets
• Knowledge of the arts community and an understanding of how an artist-run centre works
• Full-time position (35 h), with occasional activities on evening and weekends
• Start date: mid-February 2020
• Competitive salary in the field
To submit your application, please email the following documents in PDF format:
• Your CV
• A letter of motivation (maximum of 1000 words) indicating your interest in OBORO and your vision for the centre, specifying how you meet the criteria for the position
• The names and contact information (email, phone number) for three references
Please submit your application in French by email only to the address email@example.com with the subject heading “Poste de Direction générale.” The offer will remain open until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis until January 26, 2020.
All information received will be treated confidentially. We thank all applicants, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.