Job offer: Gallery Technician and Maintenance Officer
OBORO is an artist-run centre whose research, production, dissemination and training activities encompass media, digital and visual arts. We offer a work environment that is creative, adaptable and participatory, and strive especially to reflect our diverse cultures and identities in all spheres of activity. At OBORO, we also aim for the flexibility we know to be necessary in maintaining a healthy balance between work, family and artistic practice.
We are currently looking to fill the position of Gallery Technician and Maintenance Officer. Reporting to the General Director, and working in close collaboration with all members of the team, this person prepares OBORO’s spaces for exhibitions and public activities in addition to performing general maintenance tasks.
Specific tasks include:
• Assist artists in the installation of their works or in the preparation of events (prepare required equipment, offer viable solutions according to the possibilities available at OBORO, offer assistance in the search for equipment and materials, install lettering, run errands, paint, construct or dismantle walls, cabling, installation of technical equipment, etc.).
• Perform the general maintenance of common workspaces on a weekly basis.
• Maintain exhibition and work spaces in a standardized state of presentation and operation.
• Maintain order in the general storage and workshop areas (inventory of tools and proper operation).
• Offer general assistance during programming activities and events, in particular during openings (installation, preparation, surveillance, reception, representation, etc.).
• Examine artists’ files and participating in the preparation of install / de-install schedules for exhibitions and events.
• Attend team meetings.
• When needed, seek training or mentoring to ensure that appropriate tools and techniques are employed for each task.
Required skills and qualifications:
• Ability to install a wide variety of artistic projects.
• Technical knowledge: construction and finishing of walls, plastering, use of tools, lighting, minor work and repairs.
• Technological knowledge: use and manipulation of equipment such as projectors, digital players, speakers, computers and diverse software.
• Familiarity with Apple computer environments.
• Bilingualism in French and English (the working language is French).
• Interpersonal skills.
• Resourcefulness and autonomy.
• Good time-management skills.
• Punctuality and reliability.
• Capacity for teamwork.
• Care and attention to detail.
Other features that would be considered an asset:
• Valid driver's license
• Knowledge of the artistic sector and an understanding of artist-run culture
• Personal practice or interest in contemporary art
The position of Gallery Technician and Maintenance Officer averages to 21 hours of work per week, ten of which are dedicated to general maintenance duties and attending team meetings. Excluding install / de-install periods, the typical schedule is two days per week; however, during exhibition install / de-install periods, the incumbent will have to increase their work hours substantially, and must therefore have a flexible schedule.
We operate with a system of banked hours in order to ensure a stable salary at the rate of 21 hours per week. While most dates for exhibition and event install / de-install periods are provided in advance, some events may be added during the course of a season.
• 21 hours per week, with variable schedule
• Regular, permanent position
• Planned start date: early June 2019
Send your CV and a letter of intent to email@example.com with the subject line "Poste de technicien.ne en galerie" before 5:00 p.m. on May 23, 2019. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Interviews will take place during the last week of May.
All information received will be treated confidentially.