Job offer: Head of Research, Multimedia Sector
OBORO is an artist-run center with a focus on the visual, digital and media arts. We simultaneously carry out research, production, dissemination and training activities. OBORO offers a creative, flexible and participatory work environment, and takes pride in reflecting cultural diversity and identity in its actions and programming. You can consult our values statement here: https://www.oboro.net/a-propos/mission/
The organization recognizes the flexibility required to reconcile work, life and our artistic practices. Team members benefit from a policy of access to equipment, two weeks’ paid leave in December-January, in addition to the annual vacation in July, and the equivalent of one week’s sick leave/wellness leave annually.
OBORO is looking to fill a position of Head of Research in the multimedia sector of the New Media Laboratory (NML).
The Head of Research in the Multimedia Sector is responsible for research and development in their sector. They are responsible for the technical development and maintenance of multimedia equipment, and act as a representative for the organization. In collaboration with members of the coordination team, they also participate in the smooth running of program activities with multimedia components.
- You have university training in visual/media arts, performing arts, or you have accumulated relevant experience;
- You have a good understanding of the use of digital artistic production tools such as video editing softwares (Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, FinalCut Pro), live/web diffusion video switchers and multi-monitor video controllers.
- You are motivated by collaborative work and want to help artists realize their projects through your technical and theoretical support;
- You have a passion for media and digital arts and are familiar with artist-run centers or are interested in learning more;
- You are fluent in French and your level of English is at least intermediate-advanced. The working language is French;
Under the supervision of General Director, the incumbent takes on the following responsibilities:
Tasks related to research, technical development and maintenance
- Provide recommendations, in conjunction with the directors, for the main orientations of the multimedia sector (technological, conceptual and artistic) to the artistic committee;
- Develop and coordinate technological and multimedia creation workshops offered by specialists and professionals from Montreal and beyond;
- Maintain an eye on ongoing technology developments, researching and testing products and equipment;
- Conduct specific research in video, audio, lighting, computing, network environments and interactive technologies, etc;
- Develop and maintain multimedia equipment to ensure it meets programming needs, as well as those of the artistic community;
- Hold meetings with community specialists, groups and individuals to identify and anticipate the needs of artists and users;
- Update and maintain operating systems and specialized multimedia equipment, software and licenses;
- At the request of management, represent OBORO within the community and make oneself available to attend various events;
- Develop ties with other peer organizations in Quebec, Canada and internationally.
Tasks related to the accompaniment and supervision of artists and LNM users
- Assist artists with their programming needs (residencies, conferences, concerts, events, etc.);
- Define the needs of Le Lab’s artists and customers, welcome them and support them by answering production and work methodology questions for their projects;
- Assist the NML Manager in maintaining databases, inventories and equipment labelling;
- Assist the NML Manager in tasks relating to loans and follow-ups of use of equipment, spaces and resources by the team, by members, by artists in our programming and by other users (these tasks can include the preparation of equipment and spaces, contacts, follow-ups and standardization);
- Term position until December 2024, with the possibility of renewal leading to tenure;
- Regular schedule: 30 hrs/week, which may include evenings and weekends, as required;
- Start date: week of December 11, 2023;
- Compensation: $21/hour;
The workplace is at OBORO, 4001 Berri Street, Montreal.
How to apply
Send a CV and cover letter in English or French to email@example.com with “Head of Research, Multimedia Sector, NML” in the subject line, by 11:59 pm on December 1st, 2023. Alternatively, we are open to receiving your CV and cover letter in audio or video format (please provide a hyperlink). We thank all those who have applied, but only those selected will be contacted. Interviews will take place during the week of December 3, 2023. All information received will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Presentation Activities Assistance Program
In addition to its regular programming, pending the availability of resources, OBORO welcomes within its facilities presentation activities (launches, concerts, performances and other events) by artists and cultural organisations.
Assistance to presentation activities takes the form of access to equipment and services of the New Media Lab at reduced rates. This program is dedicated to supporting not-for-profit projects that are in accordance with OBORO’s mandate.
Interested individuals or organisations must send a package including the following information:
— An artistic description of the project
— Completed Requisition Form
— Biographical information on the person(s) involved
— Audiovisual support material
Requests related to this program may be submitted at any time between September 1st and May 31st. Results are generally provided within 4 weeks.
For more information, please contact the Lab Services Coordinator:
(514) 844-3250, extension 230.
Production Assistance Program
Production assistance is provided in the form of access to equipment and services from the New Media Lab at a reduced rate to user members of the New Media Lab (artists or independent producers) for non commercial projects only. Candidates must provide precise information as to the reasons and context that justify their request (for example the difficulty of obtaining financing, first large scale project, sudden unexpected situation, etc.).
In addition to the planning form, the application must include a description of the project from an artistic and technological standpoint, biographical information on the people involved and support material.
Applications for the production assistance may be submitted at any time. Answers are generally given a few weeks after submitting the proposal.
For more information, please contact OBORO’s New Media Lab access coordinator:
514-844-3250 ext 230